Man sent for psychiatric evaluation after entering restricted area in Thai Hoa Palace and damaging Nguyen dynasty imperial throne
Vietnamese police have detained a man who damaged an imperial throne that is regarded as one of the Southeast Asian country’s most treasured artifacts, conservation authorities said.
Police say the 42-year-old man damaged the throne, recognized as a national treasure, after trespassing into a restricted area inside the Thai Hoa Palace in central Vietnam.
The man climbed onto the throne and reportedly broke a part of it before being subdued by security, authorities said.
The ornate red-and-gold throne of the Nguyen dynasty, the last imperial dynasty of Vietnam that ruled for some 140 years until 1945, is preserved in the Thai Hoa Palace in Hue.
The man purchased an entrance ticket to the palace and reportedly made his way to a restricted area. He then allegedly climbed onto the imperial throne standing at the center of the palace.
Since there were only a few visitors present, the incident went unnoticed for a brief period before security staff intervened.

A visitor captured the incident on video and shared it online, triggering widespread public outrage.
Hue city police launched an investigation and subsequently detained the man.
In the wake of this “extremely rare and unprecedented” incident, authorities announced that the throne had been moved to a secure storage facility at the Royal Antiquities Museum and a replica had been installed in the Thai Hoa Palace for public viewing.
The man “snuck into the Nguyen dynasty display area, screamed and then broke the front left armrest” around midday on Saturday, a statement said. It said that the man showed “signs of psychosis, screaming, talking nonsense and could not answer the investigator’s questions”.
Experts and artisans were being enlisted to evaluate the extent of the damage and recommend a suitable restoration plan.
Security at the heritage site would be enhanced, with a renewed focus on safeguarding national treasures.
Authorities have been unable to formally question the man due to his unstable mental state. A psychiatric assessment has been ordered and police have been working with local prosecutors.
The man moved with his family in the 1990s and returned to Hue earlier this month. He was, however, forced to leave the home of his relatives where he had been staying since his return and took to living on the streets.
Previously, he had been ordered to undergo compulsory drug rehabilitation.