New Delhi, May 15. Union Education Minister Dharmendra Pradhan announced Friday that the re-examination of the National Eligibility cum Entrance Test for Undergraduates (NEET-UG) will be held on June 21.

He also stated that, in light of allegations of irregularities, the medical entrance exam will be computer-based starting next year as part of reforms.

Addressing a press conference, Pradhan said the government’s “topmost priority” is the student and their future. He noted that strict action is being taken against irregularities found in the conduct of the NEET-UG exam.

He said, “Our topmost priority is the students’ future. This time, we will not allow any kind of irregularity. The government is with you.”
The NEET-UG exam, held on May 3, was canceled following allegations of irregularities in the examination process.

Pradhan said the matter came to light when objections were received through the National Testing Agency’s (NTA) complaint system regarding the alleged matching of questions asked in the NEET-UG exam with those from a “guess paper,” following which an investigation was initiated.

He said, “This process began on May 8 and continued through May 8, 9, 10, and 11. Clarity was obtained and it was confirmed that the question papers had been leaked, so we made this decision (to cancel the exam) on May 12 in the interest of the students.”

He said, “Immediate discussions took place, and the NTA and the government, along with the Department of Higher Education, initiated a preliminary investigation. Subsequently, the matter was handed over to the relevant agencies of the Government of India.”

The minister informed that the government has handed over the case to the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI). He expressed full confidence in the investigation.

He said, “The CBI has said it absolutely right… no one will be spared. Whether anyone is inside the NTA or outside, no one will be spared.”

The minister said, “The CBT (Computer Based Test) method is far better compared to the OMR method. It is also somewhat secure. Cybercrime has become a big world in itself. Challenges exist, but we must have faith in our country’s system.” This press conference took place today. Earlier, a high-level meeting held at Pradhan’s residence late Thursday evening reviewed preparations for conducting the exam anew.